Jul 14, 2014
Gary Bembridge of Tips for
Travellers shares observations, tips and advice for visitors to
Brisbane in Australia.
Subscribe free to the show on iTunes, Stitcher Radio or TuneIn
This show covers among other topics:
- 3rd largest city in Australia - over 2 million people - growing
fast and projecting may overtake Melbourne - capital of
- Attractive city set around the curves of Brisbane River named
after Sir Thomas Brisbane Governer of NSW in 1820s.
- Compact and easy to get around with good transport
infrastructure both road and on river - easily walkable.
- Mix of modern glass buildings and grand old buildings like City
Hall - Post Office - Treasury building (now a casino).
- Lots of greenery and shade about - even the roads in the CBD
has trees along both sides creating cover and playgrounds have
covered play areas .
- About hour drive to beaches and theme parks of Gold Coast.
- Prone to major flooding at various times over history - big one
1974 - most recent in 2011 when CBD and suburbs badly
- Created to support the penal colony close by.
- Growing fast for as commercial centre : mineral and agriculture
resources , financial services , technology - busy port handling
exports of things like grain, coal.
- In WWII General MacArthur commanded to Pacific war effort from
here for a time.
- Hosted 1982 Commonwealth Games, World Expo 88
Good airline connections within Australia and to parts of Asia
Cruise lines - big ships dock quite way from the city (30-45 mins
Best time to go
Summer : Dec - Feb
Winter: Jun - Aug
Bus - tickets by zone
Rail - to suburbs
River - free and pay for services
Bike hire scheme (blue bikes)
Green tricycle taxis
- Get information booklets from tourist information offices -
free Brisbane Insider Guid.
- Brisbane Greeter Service - 100 volunteers - 20 languages - two
options (refer to information leaflet) - greeter's choice or your
choice - free
- Hop-on Hop-off bus.
Things to do
- Free red City Hopper - every 30 minutes - takes about 1.5
- CityCat service - big catamarans go much further up and down
- Mississippi style paddle streamer - Kookaburra River
- Jet Ski or kayak
- River City Cruises- 1,5 trip with commentary by Captain
South Bank Parklands
42-acre development on site of 1988 World Expo - very busy at
weekends with locals to hang out- includes
The Beach - Aquativity water park
Wheel of Brisbane - 12 to 15 minute ride in aircon enclosed
Queensland performing arts centre
Queensland museum & science centre
Queensland Art gallery
State library of Queesnsland
Gallery of Modern Art
Convention & Exhibition centre
Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
1927 - worlds first koala sanctuary - 130 koala and 90 other
Aussie species - 11km away
Panoramic view from Mount Coot-tha - 8km outside city
Botanical garden - established 1824 as fruit & vegetable
garden for nearby Moreton Bay penal settlement - 20 hectares
Story Bridge Climb
ANZAC square memorial
Queens street pedestrian mall - over 600 shops on 1 km
Gold Coast day trip