Jul 7, 2014
Gary Bembridge of Tips for
Travellers shares observations, tips and advice for visitors to
Sydney in Australia.
Subscribe free to the show on iTunes, Stitcher Radio or TuneIn
This show covers among other topics:
- Harbour area around circular quay is magical and the iconic
view of Australia and Sydney. Beyond the harbour bay is less
compelling and different to any city. Architecture not that
- Not a big a city in world league just 4 million but is
young ( ve age is 36)
- 19% Asian
- Casual outdoor lifestyle and informal
- Mix of colonial roots from UK and American feel
- Festivals important to the city to attract visitors and create
excitement and energy - film / food/ mardi gras
- Expensive city - accom, food, coffees, going out etc
- Settlement was named after UK Home Secretary (Lord Sydney) when
Penal colony was established.
- Year after most of indigenous population wiped out by lack of
resistance to European diseases.
- Not the capital - Canberra is. Rivalry between Melbourne and
Sydney meant it would be neither.
- Lots of flying options.
- Cruise Ships now fast growing way to get there too.
- Need Visa, which can get online.
- Smart Gate Fast track entry for electronic passports including
UK, NZ, Swiss, Singapore, US Global entry
- Customs very strict - border control tv show - disease
Southern Hemisphere so Summer peak is Dec / Jan and coldest in
- Traffic quite congested - large use of public transport by
- Taxi - expensive , Train system - good, Bus system good
and inexpensive - buy ticket or cards at newsagents /
Where to stay
Top things to do
Do harbour tour HOHO or tours from Circular Quay (explain
Museum of Contemporary Art - stunning building - renovated and
Explore the icons
Sydney Harbour Bridge - bridge walk - 4 hours long short 1,5
Opera House - behind scene tours and backstage tours -
Visit the beaches
Bondi - use 333 bendy bus - train to Bondi a Junction then bus
Manley - harbour trip there scenic - surfing - snorkel -
Buzzy and busy with many tourist attractions:
Australian National Maritime Museum
Sydney Tower and Skywalk
Queen Victoria building
Pitt street - the 5th Ave of Sydney
Olympic Park Tour
Gardens - Hyde park, Botanical gardens, Chinese gardens